DON'T DO IT.....“W-sitting” is a term used to describe a sitting position in which the child’s bottom is on the floor while their feet are splayed out to the sides – forming a “W” shape with the legs and knees.This may seem like a benign position that we see many children utilizing, but it comes with many negative implications.
Chief among these are the fact that W-sitting:
The purpose of tendon glide exercises is to increase the circulation to the hand and wrist which in turn reduces swelling and promotes healthier soft tissue (muscle, ligaments and tendons). Do 5 cycles 3 or 4 times each day.
How Can a Physical Therapist Help?
Physical therapists are trained to evaluate and treat plantar fasciitis.
When you are diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, your physical therapist will work with you to develop a program to decrease your symptoms that may include:
* Stretching exercises to improve the flexibility of your ankle and the plantar fascia
* Use of a night splint to maintain correct ankle and toe positions
* Selection of supportive footwear and/or shoe inserts that minimize foot pronation and reduce stress to the plantar fascia
* Application of ice to decrease pain and inflammation
* Taping of the foot to provide short-term relief